Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hymn and Scripture Challenge #1 - Lift High the Cross

Yesterday I found the box where I had stored my 9" x 9" scrapbook and papers that fit it. I had started them last year with Patter's Hymn and Scripture challenge until life became unorganized and I lost track of the scrapbook. I kept meaning to start again when things settled down, so I was ready to make a fresh start and play catch-up and keep up.

As a grandma, I can tell that my thoughts aren't as sharp as they used to be. I want to record the importance of the Lord in my life and the truths I absorbed from the hymns I've always loved singing. I know it will be meaningful for my kids and grandkids someday. (A few of my scrapbooking friends enjoy reading what I've put on these pages as well.)

I don't believe I had ever sung or heard this hymn, "Lift High the Cross," until I heard it from the link on Patter's blog. It's very inspiring and reminded me of a chorus we used to sing in Christian school, so I included that on my layout. Please check out Patter's blog post for this hymn to hear it and to see the wonderful verses she shared that relate to this hymn.



With the Easter season approaching, many people will be thinking more about Christ's crucifixion. I always have a tinge of sadness thinking about Christ taking such a horrendous punishment for my own sins. This song encourages us to elevate what took place on the cross to the level that others see His great love in that act of sacrifice. Another hymn uses the phrase "Let others see Jesus in you." I used to tell my young students that what you do and what you say should be what Jesus would do or say. That's one way to let others see Jesus. We are also to proclaim His gift of salvation to the world "till all the world adore His sacred name."

I always enjoy the time in the church service in our small town church when people can share blessings. Sharing what Christ has done, how God has blessed us is another way of lifting him up in praise.

I included the verse from John 12:32 that Jesus spoke, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." We do the proclaiming and He will be the one who draws or pulls all men unto himself. I think it's like the verse that says His words will not return unto him void. We do the sowing and He will give the increase.

I'm also sharing this layout with Word Art Wednesday Challenge #72. They have a great verse this week about being crucified with Christ (that I'll use on another layout!!)

2 comments:

Ann said...

Wonderful page. Thanks for joining us this week at WAW.

Karen Letchworth said...

LOVE this, Vickie. Thanks for sharing with us again this week. I am always so grateful for your participation, and enjoy your sweet creations so much,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday