Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Operation Write Home VCMP - Represent your state

I live on a farm in Missouri. My husband isn't a farmer like his dad was, so my mother-in-law rents our pasture land to a friend. His cattle do the grazing and he keeps fences mended, mows the hay, etc. Another friend is raising soybeans on some of our acreage. I personally think cows represent a large part of our state.  Except around the big cities, you can hardly drive without seeing pasture land or cattle. And, yes, I have looked at the cows in my back yard and I agree they don't have that shade of pink anywhere, but I used artistic license when I colored this cow.

I designed this card with several challenges in mind. The Virtual Card Making Party for Labor Day Weekend had this last challenge: Represent Your State, which I'm doing with this cute cow from Clear Dollar Digi Stamps, "Farm Critters Digital Image."

Paper Playtime suggested the gingham and Quirky Crafts asked for Farm + one recycled item. I took the plastic packaging from my new Tombo adhesive refill, Used a Sharpie to trace a star that I cut on the Cricut, and cut it out to glue over part of the title. I wanted a star to go with the title and it is so easy to see through the plastic star, I will definitely try this again. Sweet Stamps challenge this week has more ideas for using acetate on cards and layouts.

I also altered the title in Photoshop. I copied Udderly Terrific and hit "New" document/image. I doubled the size of the width suggested in the "New" drop down menu. Then I pasted Udderly Terrific and moved it to the right with the pointer. I copied "You're" from another sentiment in that set, pasted it and moved it to the left with the pointer. I went to Layers and Flattened the layers so I could save it as a jpg to print.

I used the bonus sketch for this week at Operation Write Home. Then I added two die cut scalloped circles - 3/25" and 3.5" to highlight the main image.

 
I'm sharing this card at the following challenges:
No Matter Which Challenge #2 - Die Cuts and Punches
Paper Playtime Challenge #83 - Gingham and Punches
Quirky Crafts challenge #18 - Recycling on the Farm
 
 
5.5" x 4.25" Card Recipe:
Paper - Close To My Heart retired gingham, Black and White Daisy cardstock; The Paper Studio "Simple Elegance"
Digital Images - Clear Dollar Stamps  "Farm Critters Digital Image."
Markers - CTMH Cotton Candy Light Alcohol Marker; Copics N00, N02, N04 (grays)
Accents - unknown daisy chain ribbon from my stash; clear star made from "trash"
Tools - printer, Cricut Art Philosophy (scalloped circles, star), 3" circle punch; Adobe Photoshop, Sharpie permanent black marker, acetate cover packaging from Tombow adhesive refill
 

 

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

Awesome card, Vickie! I love what you did with the acetate star and your choice of sentiment. A hero is going to love writing a note in this card!

S`andra V. said...

Fantastic card. It is too stinkin' cute. I am sure the receiver of the card will truly enjoy as well as the sender of a hero. Thank you for sharing.
Happily Crafting &scrapbooking My Memories~Sandra V.
http://OhMyScraps2U.blogspot.com
PS. stop by and check out the birthday giveaway. ends soon.

Unknown said...

Super cute image and sentiment. Thanks for playing along at NMW Challenges.
Good luck. Hugz Suzanne

marion said...

This is so lovely ! Lovely cow ! Thanks for joining us at NMWC and good luck. I hope we will see you again in our next month challenge. Hugs, Marion

Spyder said...

Love the sentiment! Thank you for playing along with Quirky Crafts this challenge!
(Lyn) DT

Janis Lewis said...

MOO-velous. Just udderly cow-tastic. Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime. :) Janis

Caro said...

Gotta love that cow! Thank you so much for joining in with our recycling on the farm challenge at Quirky Crafts Challenge Blog

papertrails leaver said...

what a "moo"velous card! So cute your cow is! Thanks for joining us at Paper Playtime! :-) Amy